Image Map

Saturday, November 9, 2013

"Life in an Ocean" extension activities

Remember that post where I told you I'd share about my literature extensions for the book "Life in an Ocean"???

No?  Well, that's probably because I wrote it a long time ago.  And I said that I'd be back in a few days which clearly didn't work out.  

Anyway, here it is. Super late.  But, better late than never, right??


We read this book (it's part of our reading curriculum).  I always like to extend this book because it's our first non-fiction book of the year and the kids love it.

This color word activity was in our literacy station rotation for two weeks.  It was just the right level of difficulty for this point in the school year.

We made a simple emergent reader with six pages to keep in our book bags at school.
 

And we made a class book!  I love every chance to make a class book. 

We made this list of sea creatures and each student chose the one they wanted to write about. 

They completed these pages.  We have been working on detailed drawings during our writing block, and have discussed how to add all of our details and then draw the setting last.  The kids did a great job and the book turned out adorable!
 
 

Our class books always go home with each student before being placed in our reading corner for the rest of the school year.  I put the book in a gallon-size ziploc bag with this sticker on the front.  They keep it for one night and bring it back the next day.  The kids LOVE bringing class books home to share with their families!!

If you'd like the page for the class book, CLICK HERE to head over to Google Drive and grab it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment